Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Day Three in Senegal

Yesterday after work, I walked to the ocean side with Lamtoro et Bineta ( 10 year old host brother and 7 year old host sister). It’s only about a fifteen-minute walk from where we live. When we reached the ocean I tried playing the wave game where you stay as close as you can to the edge of the waves as they role in and out without it touching you. But Bineta yelled to me several times, “C’est pas bon,” meaning that’s not good. Though I would go swimming on this beach any day and a few people were in the water, it’s considered dangerous. The beach is sandy, not white sand, more light brown, very busy with people. This is where everyone works out. There are pull-up bars, people doing push-ups and squats, teams working out and people running along the beach. It’s only men though working out. I have a great urge to join in the scene. I think I might try running today. In public, people receive me with friendliness and don’t pay much special attention to me than anyone else, except for some of the vendors and les drageurs (all you frenchies are familiar with this term). Don’t worry JP, I let them know that je suis fidèle à toi.

I’ve had a couple people ask me what the house is like that I’m staying at. I think I already have a different perception of it than my first day. It’s very different depending on if I’m comparing it to American standards or more local ones. It’s a modest house without many unnecessary objects. The entry way is the main gathering place. There is a T.V. and we lay a matt down on the floor to eat dinner. I have my own bedroom, which was the office of Sada. It’s right next to the entryway, so I always know what’s going on in the house. But I find the noise comforting. The house is very open and between the entryway and kitchen, there’s an open courtyard with tile flooring. The bathroom is in this area. I would say the bathroom is the most interesting. There’s a hole in the ground that you stand above to do your business, and a showerhead across the way. Yep, that’s it. At first, I thought this way kind of roughing it, but you know, the necessities are there. Across from the kitchen is the open den area for Simba, the goat, and the kitchen also is equipped with what is needed. It’s funny to think of how much I acquire in the U.S. because I feel like I need it. I’m shown here that that is not necessary reality.

I’ve been waking up at 4am because I’m still adjusting which allows plenty of time for thinking. This morning I felt uneasy, and I didn’t see how to move past it, but then I took time just to pray and read scripture along with The Purpose Driven Life and was able to be at peace with my faith in God that He will sustain me and accomplish far more than I think possible through my time here. This is insight I will strive to hold on to while I’m here. A tout le monde, bonne journée!

P.S. Mom, I’m wearing the Senegalese necklace you made me !

1 Comments:

At January 12, 2005 at 9:16 AM, Blogger mom said...

Hi dear daughter, I still am in Hawaii and don't have your private e-mail address handy, so I guess this message is for all to see. I am thinking of you lots and know that you will meet these new experiences with faith, humor, and a positive spin. Good thing I am not around you when you use that bathroom. Would probably start laughting and fall in! I love you and will send you a private e-mail once I get a hold of your address. Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you. Glad you are wearing that necklace! XXOO Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home