Friday, March 18, 2005

Continuation of Vacation Update..

I'm back from vacation ! C'était vraiment magnifique. Cap Skirring is one of those places that almost seems like you're in a dream-state. Our hotel was situation on a small cove on the Atlantic Ocean. The waves were perfect for body surfing and boogy boarding, the palm trees provided shade from the sun and perfect for setting up hammocks, mangoes and coconuts were a daily snack... really was perfect. My fam and I all went to Mass in Cap Skirring, so my parents got a feel for Mass...African style. There's a certain enthusiasm and sincerely that I love about mass here and always makes me feel like I belong right there in that moment. After Cap Skirring we went to Zinguinchor. I stayed there for a few days while my parents attempted to make it back to Dakar. There have been difficulties with the airlines here and they arrived at the airport to find out that there was no plane. So in order to make it to Dakar in time to catch the flight to the U.S. They hoped in a 7 passenger car and drove to Dakar. This is quite a trip due to the unpredictable ferry that crosses the Gambia river, the condition of the roads, the heat and the communication barrier.... but after about 10 hours they made it.

In Zinguinchor I visited some of the partners of CRS and the projects being executed. One of which is the microfinance banks in Casamance. I went to a meeting where all the women make they monthy payment for their loans and are also given a portion of the loan which is distributed over a period of 6 months. The organization and patience of these women was impressive. All the women take responsibility and really appreciate the presence of these the bank. Most of them use the loan to buy and sell some type of good whether that’s clothes, shoes, peanuts, fruits or vegetables. This allows women a chance to be empowered and earn a living which in turn improves the living of their children and families.

I also visited Madina and Kandialong, which are villages that were destroyed during the 20 years of conflict between the military and rebellion group. CRS helped to fund projects to rebuild these abandoned communities. In 1997 everyone fled their homes due to the violence in this area, leaving everything. In 2001, after the conflict has subsided for the most part, CRS funded projects to help rebuild houses and schools in these villagers so people could return to the places they grew up in. As we drove through these towns, you would of never know the history that had passed. People were going about their daily life, children out playing, andI could see houses scattered around everywhere. CRS and RADDHO (a partner of CRS) provided the materials to these communities, which allowed the villagers to work together to reconstruct their homes. Everyday they worked to rebuild their community and in the end constructed 97 houses. I bet to see this community come together and rebuild their lives would have been pretty impressionable. This was definitely an insight to a more traditional lifestyle then life in Dakar. No electricity, no running water and though people could travel to Zinguinchor for supplies and materials, most people lived off the land.

I'm feel really fortunate to have the opportunity to see these projects and also to have been able to travel around Senegal and Gambia with my parents. It's definitely been a highlight to my experience here. I was excited to come back to see the family and my friends here. Even work is good because I’m in crunch time to finish my project, present it and write up a report of my internship and I like the fact that I’ll be busy my last week here.

I feel like I have to end by saying God is good. I’m so very sure of that. It seems everything in my life testifies to this. What amazes me is how many times I hear this from the people here who struggle to make it, yet never hesitate to glorify our Creator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home