Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Fini!

I just gave my final presentation ! I’m done with project here with CRS Senegal. Though I know my contribution was small, I think I made a small one. I have helped to create the first draft of a manual that eventually will be distributed to all the partner organisations of CRS which contains all the information imperative for being in a partnership with CRS. AND it’s all in French… okay so not perfect French, but still that’s an accomplishment. The presentation went well, maybe not the most interesting for everyone to listen to me try and manage in French, mais je m’en fou. I realize that this document will be pretty useful when it’s completed. Godlove even expressed the idea to share it with the other CRS offices in francophone countries. I have the "I just got done with finals feeling," though the idea of leaving is beginning to create some sentimental emotions. I’m making sure to profit from each moment during my last few days here. My last weekend here I spent catching up with my friends that I haven’t seen since my vacation. I went to the last soirée with the track team… we danced the evening away. Palm Sunday was really interesting. So many people showed up to mass and we all joined in a procession around the area where the church is while singing songs and saying prayers. I found this fairly impressionable, since 95% of the population is Muslim. Everyone respectfully stopped traffic and people peered out of their windows and balconies to watch. This country is blessed with a great solidarity. I’ve been filled with a full joy my last few days here… I’m so grateful for my experience here, the people I’ve met, all that I’ve learned, and I know I will take it with me. There are certain aspects of this culture and my life here that I will miss because I don't know if they would fit in as naturally back home. For one, there's the closeness of the people; guys will hold hands with their guy buddies, same with the girls and people are genuinely accepting of everyone else, secondly, eating dinner with my hands and sharing one big plate with the family (Sarah and Lydia.... maybe we can make this possible back home), thirdly is that I spend the evenings here simply enjoying the presence of others without always feeling like I should be doing something, and lastly... okay there is no lastly, I could go on but will stop there. ALright well, for many of you, I'll be seeing you soon. God Bless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home