Thursday, March 24, 2005

Conclusion to Chapter One

Alright… (deep breath)… I almost feel like I’m getting ready for another unknown adventure returning back to the U.S. I’m trying to anticipate the culture shock of returning home… the presence of so much, so much wealth and materials will be interesting, but I really can’t foresee what the process will be like. I was thinking yesterday how when I first came here, Dakar was so foreign so me, so culturally different than what I had known. Just as an experiment I tried to return to that mind frame and I can’t. I honestly can’t do it, everything has been embedded in me and has become a natural way of life.

I’m going to miss the charm of Senegalese people. I think this is a selfish thing because I’m always the receiver of their charm. Especially these last few days, everyone’s been expressing their gratitude and even giving me gifts… it’s like a birthday. They have set an example to me how to live with generosity and a constant welcoming attitude.

This morning I walked baby Khady to school with Coumba. I’ve grown pretty darn attached to this family. I think I was meant to meet them. In a few minutes we’re having an office party. Seriously CRS and the staff here have been great. Tomorrow I’m going to the stations of the cross for Holy Friday, which I think will be a big gathering and then my friends are coming over to say a final goodbye before I head to the airport Friday night.

Well… I guess this sums it up for My Adventure in Africa… or at least until chapter two. Thank you all for reading. It’s been real:) Peace be the journey.

1 Comments:

At March 24, 2005 at 3:52 PM, Blogger Beaver said...

Hey sweetie ! It's never over, really. Once you get the bite, you cant stop thinking of it.

Yes, you'll have a schock getting back home. Yes, you'll miss Senegal, and Senegal will miss you too !

But you will somehow integrate this journey to who you are and it will just darn be great !

Take care of yourself, it's been a pleasure to know you... Keep the faith !

Marie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home